Skin Cancer Community
Dermatologist had 5 moles biopsied - should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

I just got back from my dermatologist, who I haven't seen in probably 10 years. He gave me a full body check since I have a good amount of moles. He said everything looks fine and he doesn't see any problems, but there were 5 moles he wanted to biopsy (he says he is much more conservative than most doctors). I asked him if there was anything to be concerned about, and he assured me there wasn't and that he just likes to be cautious in case there are some bad cells in these moles, he wants to remove them now instead of waiting for something to form.

My question is, is he being completely honest with me? Is mole biopsy normal even for moles that generally look ok like he says they are? Also, if these biopsies do come back positive, is this something that could potentially be a big problem (ie, late stage, etc), even though there is no surface indication of any issues?
Hard to say .. but probably they didn't fit all the criteria yet they caught his eye with some of the features .. that would be my guess .. also, if you haven't been there in 10 years you probably figure that's 2 a year being caught up.

Let us know the results when you get your biopsy

sometimes the wait is the hardest part.