Skin Cancer Community
Miss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Miss

In January my mum was diagnosed with a Chronic Pilonidal Abscess on her groin due to an ingrowing hair that she had had 2 months. After antibiotics it didn't clear up & still itched. In February she went to see a gynaecologist who said no need to remove & issued more antibiotics & cream. Still no change to the 10p size abscess she went back to see a GP. Knowing the issues it was causing mum she referred her to the Plastics Surgery. There she was advised it gets removed & sent for testing & it had characteristics of skin cancer. This shocked us & when we asked questions we were advised don't worry about it it's not like other cancers. It gets removed in 2 weeks but we are both very worried. I'm searching the internet to find out why its not like other cancers & why not worry but can't find anything. No one has had cancer in our family so we are naïve to it. Please can you help ease our mind? Thank you.    
Pilonidal Disease is a chronic skin infection caused by hairs becoming embedded in the skin just above the crease in the buttocks. If the disease is complex or recurring a surgical option will be necessary And healing will take several weeks with an open wound and will require a lot of care. But chances of it turning cancerous are less.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.