Skin Cancer Community
Should I be checked more thoroughly? How to approach it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Should I be checked more thoroughly?  I've had skin cancer, though only basal so far, but my father died from melanoma that was aggressive, was not diagnosed early enough because it wasn't on his arm or leg.  He "seemed " OK until the cancer hit, and he ended up with leukemia that made melanoma more aggressive in lymph nodes in the inguinal area. I was told by a relative who is a doctor (cardiologist not a dermatologist) I should ask for a "complete skin exam," including what women get at an OBGYN appt. Also had two uncles with melanoma, and mother had squamous. I did that, but the female dermatologist who examined me for my "complete skin exam" simply did a two minute look, with underwear on, and said everything looked OK, with no problems where I had basal removed, and other actinic keratoses that had "white spots" from freezing. It is difficult to say to a doc who had already made up his or her mind, that you'd like the doc to look at the genital area without appearing strange.  Is the exam I received typical and reasonable, or should I look for another dermatologist?  And, how does a person approach this subject or articulate concerns when some docs simply appear not to want to check very closely?  Should I be checked "down there" or not? Info on line in various places leaves a person uncertain about the necessity for a check of the "nether regions," even with high risk factors (strong history of sunburn, family history, basal cell, blue eyes, over 65 yrs old, much time in sun during youth, many freckles and moles).  

Appreciate anyone else's experience, or comments from dermatologist.  

I guess you could ask your OB/GYN to see if all looks ok and then approach your Dermatologist in that area if there are any concerns?  That is what comes to mind first.  I know  .. it seems like only 2min check, but they have a very strong light and know what they are looking for.  I actually have circled concerning moles so I didn't forget to tell my doc at my exam.

C~