Skin Cancer Community
Skin Cancer Treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Skin Cancer Treatment

I recently had a biopsy of a mole on my leg that had grown in size.  The doctor's nurse called me the next week to told me I had squamous cell skin cancer.  She said I needed to have surgery and I made appointment.  I arrived at the appointment and found out the nurse was wrong.  No surgery was necessary.  My skin cancer is in situ.  So actually this appointment was considered post-op follow up.  

To say the least, I was a bit confused and upset.  Then my doctor looked at my leg and said it should have healed more by now and asked me to come back in three weeks for another appointment.  I asked the doctor a few questions about what in situ means.  He said it is very early skin cancer and not to worry about it and walked out of the room.  

First his bed side manner ***** and he has not provided me any information about anything.  My concern is how do I know if all the skin cancer was removed by just the biopsy?  Why tell me the "surgery" should have healed by now?  He used a punch biopsy which was quite deep and large.

I plan to go back to the next appointment and never go back to this doctor.  I will ask him my question about getting all the skin cancer at the next appointment and what follow up is necessary.  He did say I should follow up with in a year after my final appointment.

What are your thoughts about not having further surgery and follow up in a year?
ask as many questions as you want i had a shave biopsy done and it took 2 weeks to heal still not all the way yet .but better. some drs need to be trained in bedside manner alot of them are out for a dollar .we look to them for clarity and hope  so you ask about your situration until you can ease your mind