Hypnic Jerks
One night in March this year, I went to bed as normal but just as I was drifting off I jerked back awake. Assuming it was a one-off I drifted off again, but the same thing happened, and has continued to happen. Every time I'm near sleep I'm awoken again by twitching and jerking.

This can sometimes last all night, resulting in a completely sleepless night. Other nights it can be 3-4 hours before I eventually go to sleep.

The doctors put it down to stress of planning a wedding but the wedding was in September and I'm no better. I've tried herbal meds, Chinese medication and hypnotherapy but they were no good. The only thing that can give me a decent night's sleep is alcohol, although this is induced REM sleep, and I don't want to become dependent on booze as it will have an effect on my health in other areas.

I went for a sleep study in November but their findings were inconclusive, although I do have a second appointment next month.

This problem is really frustrating and is beginning to impact on my life. The doctors reluctantly gave me some Diazepam but this hasn't worked either.

Any advice would be most appreciated.