Sleep Disorders Community
Vertigo and convulsion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Vertigo and convulsion

I am a 36 year old woman and about 6 months ago I began to experience vertigo, combined with a convulsion, while falling asleep. I can lie down in any position for hours and not experience this - it ONLY happens as I fall asleep. I get hit with a wave of vertigo and at the same time my body convulses, once, and I am completely awakened. The vertigo subsides quickly once I sit up, however, if it happens one time it will then continue to happen all night long, every time I am drifting off into sleep. I end up not sleeping at all, and literally remaining awake all night. It might not happen for weeks at a time, and then for some reason it might happen 3 nights in a row. I have had an MRI (negative) and have been tested for Benign Positional Vertigo (negative result). My ENT doctor believes it is not an ear problem, but perhaps a problem with my sleep mechanism. I have meclizine, and it helps, but cannot be used more than once a week or it loses all effectiveness. I sometimes go 3 full nights without any sleep, and there doesn't seem to be any help in sight. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Thanks.
Hi claire231, how are you? Can you provide some more info regarding the onset and any associated symptoms - convulsions, body getting stiffened, eyeball rolling or loss of consciousness? Does a convulsion stop on its own or you need to take any medication? Since you say ENT doctor has ruled out any ENT cause, I would like to suggest you to consult a Neurologist to get complete evaluation and an EEG. Avoiding sleep to prevent convulsions is not a good thing to do, have your sleep in time and also a short daytime nap as body requires proper rest, else the stress you undergo can worsen your condition. Do not go out without an attendant or drive your vehicle while alone. Share your thoughts and do update once you visit the Neurologist. Take care.