Sleep Disorders Community
jerking in newborns
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

jerking in newborns

My daughter is just two weeks old.  A couple of days after she came home i noticed that she started having jerking spells at least once a day for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time.  Her arms and legs seemed like they just involuntarily jump while she is asleep.  My doctor said that it could be the result of smoking marijuana during the months that I did not know I was pregnant (first four months).  If this is the case how long will she continue to have these spells? I also heard that this could be caused by her nervous system not being fully developed yet.  And if it were seizures or epilepsy would there be more evident symptoms?  Again, they are like hard jerks that make her legs and arms move involuntarily and occur mostly while she is sleep.