Sleep Disorders Community
unable to yawn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

unable to yawn

I am in my mid thirties and have always considered my myself to be in excellent health.  I exercise at least 2 hours a day 4 or 5 times a week, eat properly, and drink mostly water.  However, for the past 18 months I have been unable to take a complete breath or yawn correctly.  This seems to have begun at the time when I went back to school so it might be related to that, but I am no longer in school.  It is like I can only yawn about 50-75% of what I'm supposed to.  It's so frustrating, because I then can't get to sleep.  My average nightly sleep is about 4 hours per night; sometimes it is virtually zero.  I went to one doctor who said it was anxiety and I tried everything he suggested, including hypnosis, meditation,and continuing my exercise routine.  However, this activities would either not help or only help temporarily for a couple of days or so.  I can't get rid of this slight (but constant) pressure in my chest.  I just wish I could yawn like I used to and be able to sleep.   What can I do other than take medications?  At this point, what kind of medications might help me to yawn again?
Yawning has nothing to do with your ability to sleep. Your inability to sleep is probably anxiety, like your doctor said. Take meds for the anxiety and if that doesn't help. try a sleep med. Yawning isn't a necessity to live.