Sleep Disorders Community
unable to yawn
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

unable to yawn

I am in my mid thirties and have always considered my myself to be in excellent health.  I exercise at least 2 hours a day 4 or 5 times a week, eat properly, and drink mostly water.  However, for the past 18 months I have been unable to take a complete breath or yawn correctly.  This seems to have begun at the time when I went back to school so it might be related to that, but I am no longer in school.  It is like I can only yawn about 50-75% of what I'm supposed to.  It's so frustrating, because I then can't get to sleep.  My average nightly sleep is about 4 hours per night; sometimes it is virtually zero.  I went to one doctor who said it was anxiety and I tried everything he suggested, including hypnosis, meditation,and continuing my exercise routine.  However, this activities would either not help or only help temporarily for a couple of days or so.  I can't get rid of this slight (but constant) pressure in my chest.  I just wish I could yawn like I used to and be able to sleep.   What can I do other than take medications?  At this point, what kind of medications might help me to yawn again?