Swine Flu Community
H1N1

This community is for discussions relating to Swine Flu. Links to outside news sources will be permitted in this community to exchange information and keep up with this changing event.

View the archives of Dr. Enoch Choi's health chat on the swine flu

H1N1

Has anyone had side effects from geting the vaccine for H1N1?
where I am they dont have it yet, what I wouild like to know is what are the symptoms I know regular flu is respitory  but yesterday they said the swine flu is stomach flu, anyone know ?.
Swine flu is also respriatory. Are you in Australia?  I know New Zealand has had a lot of cases.  My daughter said there are no longer signs up at school, and she doesn't hear much about it anymore.
Ok I just looked at your profile and I see you are in California.  Like us, you will likely be gearing up for flu season to start.  They are starting clinics here on Thursday, so I have to make my mind up by then.  I am leaning towards getting it.  My SIl is a nurse and has decided to get it along with the 2 kids, but my brother is not, so far.
They were talking about the shots being made, but I don't think it's available in MN yet.

I did take the regular flu shot via the nasal spray. To my great surprise I *did* get a reaction to it. Basically starting almost a few hours or a day after I had the symptoms of an upper respiratory infection for a good three or four days. (nasal symptoms post nasal drip, sore throat, etc...) I feel okay now though unless I get sick from being out in public, which would be an entirely different thing.

If the swine flu is also nasal, then I'd imagine probably have a stuffed up nose and a bit of discomfort. I'm not sure how bad it would be.
I had my seasonal yesterday and feel fine.  H1N1 just became available in our city yesterday, so I will be getting it later on this week, as will my husband.  The line ups right now are incredible, and people are waiting 6 hours.  There is no way I can stand for 6 hours (I'm almost 7 months pregnant) so I am hoping the lines die down by friday or so.  
Here in LA there is (don't quote) about 1,500 cases here H1N1. I don't know how many deaths here due to H1N1. My PCP has run out of the standard yearly flu shot. I usually take that one. I am undecided about the H1N1. I am not in Public alot, more of a home body. I may have to take my chances. Really, I am more worried about hubby(diabetic) and my 2 boys. The youngest is at LSU, and calls it germcity. My oldest is everywhere. We all usually wash our hands often and keep them away from our face. We do this every winter.
I have to be out in the public, so I will be taking my risk. Anyone in MN heard anything about availability? I know a person who refuses to go out in public because she has asthma and could be at great risk. It'd be nice if she could get the shot anyway.
Its not available here in CA 2 drug stores in my area say they have none,

I had both the seasonal and H1N1 flu shot last week. Where I live, the seasonal flu shot is available to everyone already, but the H1N1 shot is only available to those with specific chronic diseases and pregnant women... on Monday it will be available to health professionals and to those who live with people with certain chronic diseases... in mid-November the H1N1 shot will be available to everyone.

I experienced the USUAL side-effect of soreness at the injection site AFTER the injection. The injection itself was completely painless. But, after the injections (they did one on either arm), I experienced soreness. One arm was more sore then the other arm. My mom, who also qualifies for the early H1N1 shot, says that from what the doctor told her, she believes it is the H1N1 shot that was the more painful of the two after the injection. The doctor did not tell me which arm was getting which shot so I do not know which injection was more painful after the injection, it could have been either of them for all I know. One of my arms stopped being painful the next day. My other arm stayed painful, locally JUST at the site of injection, for three days after injection.

Other than that, NO side-effects. I didn't feel any sort of immune reaction side-effects that they say are possible either... I didn't feel temporarily ill or get a mild fever. So, NO side-effects other than pain at the injection site that resolved after three days. And, don't worry, I didn't even FEEL the needle at all when they were giving me the injection!! It was only after I got home that I noticed my arms were sore... but that Always happens with Every single shot I get no matter what sort of intramuscular injection it is... it has nothing to do with vaccines, it's an intramuscular injection thing, not a specific to vaccine thing. Pain at injection site after intramuscular injection is a side-effect I experience with all intramuscular injections, not just vaccines.

Hope that helps! :) Good luck in finding a vaccine, I know they are difficult to get right now! If you do have a chronic lung, heart, or kidney disease, or if you are pregnant... or if you live with someone who has a chronic lung, heart or kidney disease or if you live with someone who is pregnant, then you should mention this to the doctor or pharmacy if you are finding accessing the vaccine difficult, as falling into one of these high-risk categories for dying from H1N1 will put you at a higher priority to receive the vaccine.
I did get my vaccines, both H1N1 and regular flu on Friday. I had no side effects except slight soreness in the arm which received the H1N1 vaccine.  
It's been a few days since I had my H1N1 vaccine and no side effects whatsoever except stiffness in the injection arm for a day or two afterwards.  I am absolutely fine!