Tourette Syndrome Community
Could this be adult onset tourettes?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Could this be adult onset tourettes?

Hi there,

I was wondering if what I've been experiencing could be adult onset tourettes, or if maybe it is something else? I know from my research that tourettes seems to typically begin during childhood, and I'm really not sure how rare adult onset tourettes is. I'm a 23 year old female, and have been experiencing complex vocal tics since around age 22, so for basically the past year. I also suffer from bipolar disorder, OCD, and anxiety disorder (whee!). The tics are very transient, I don't have them all the time. They're at their worst when I am having a manic episode, or if I am very stressed or sleepy. It's always the same though.... I always know beforehand what I am about to say (it's always random sentences... they make sense, but have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand) and warn whoever I am with at the time, or whoever I am on the phone with (I guess I'm very social because I'm typically not alone) that "I'm about to say something really stupid and random, please just ignore it!" and then the sentence will just spill out of my mouth. They're never relevant... for example if I'm discussing let's say.... what to eat for dinner with my fiancé, I might blurt out "My brother said Tuesday would work just fine!" in the middle of our conversation about food. Needless to say the other person gets one very confused look on their face.

So what do you guys think? Sorry for the length, I didn't mean to ramble.
Thanks for helping!

- MK
Tags: tourettes
HI
I am 56 years of age and I thought the same about Tourettes and thinking you only got it from an early age, I have other health issues concerning my brain which is the parietal and temporal lobes. I get sudden outbursts without warning as well as knowing when they are about to happen, I do try to hold them back when I am out and in doing so it gives me great pressure and then eventually I just let go, I have body jerks at the same time as shouting obscene words as well as various noises.
I have got to a point now where I just want to shout at individuals for example being served at a shop counter and the person in front is being slow and I will let them know what I think LOL

FUZZY