Tourette Syndrome Community
VIOLENT head/neck tic...very worried

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

VIOLENT head/neck tic...very worried

hello, I am a 24 yo female with tourettes OCD and ADD, was dxed in 1992. In 2006 I underwent experiemental deep brain stimulation surgery as a last resort for my debilitating tics. It was a miracle, my tics reduced 80-90% depending on the day, season etc.

my question is since the surgery, I have developed this tick where I thrash my head back so hard it disorients me and makes me nauseous, and gives me constant headaches. you can't imagine it unless you see it. it is like getting in a bad fender bender dozens of times a day. I posted a video on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRIgWDk9E8

they are not always quite this violent, but most times I do 5 or 6 of them in a row. It makes me dizzy, nauseous immediately after I do it, then I have a headache for hours after, sometimes the rest of the day.

my questions are:
if this tic does not go away, what are the risks to the structure of my brain? Over time will it affect my cognitive abilities and memory? I see boxers like Muhammad Ali and think I might end up like that.

and also, what are the odds that the tiny Ipg's in my mid brain (GPi) will move even ever so slightly? My team has assured they are secured well in place, but then again, they have not seen this tic, and like I said it is difficult to comprehend unless you see it yourself. They probably would not have done the surgery at all if I had had this tic before the surgery, because patients with head and neck ticks are high risk patients for wire fracture, lead movement, etc.

I had gotten several small botox injections a couple months ago and it was amazing I didn't have one headache for over a month and the neck snapping was somewhat reduced. But my neurologist is on vacation and apparently, she is the only one who knows how to properly do those particular muscles.

I would really appreciate any input/advice you can give me.

Thank You,
Carlie
sorry I thought this was a doctor forum......I will re-post it in there