Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
throat/neck pain

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

throat/neck pain

I have persistent debilitating pain in my throat and neck. The pain in my throat comes from lymph nodes that are just under the jaw. The neck pain seems to be exactly at the back of the neck adjacent to the painful lymph nodes. I also get a headache as a result from this pain. I have had all the necessary blood work to rule out infections, arthritis, cancers, etc. I also had a ct scan of the neck which just shows slightly swollen nodes that are 'non pathological'. I've had ct scans of the brain and all is normal. I had swab for mono and strep and its negative. The only other pain from the neck up is tooth pain at the two very back teeth. sharp pain when chewing which has been happening for years, but I learned to live with the pain since it is only when chewing certain foods. Therefore, I can live with that. What i cant live with is the neck/throat pain as I have to take 8 advil a day and that barely helps. Any ideas? Thank you... oh, I also had a TB test which was negative
Difficult to say without evaluation.  I agree with the CT scan, which would rule out major masses or anatomical abnormalities.  

You can consider an ENT referral and possible laryngoscopy, or a GI referral for an upper endoscopy.

Sometimes TMJ pain can radiate down to the neck, and this option can be evaluated by a dentist or oral surgeon.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have similar pain in neck and throat swelling, also around ear and jaw.  It got so bad around my back 2 teeth I pulled them out little help but the teeth hurt no more.
A related discussion, pain in neck chronic, and pain in neck when chewing. could this be cancer of lymph nodes in neck? was started.