Blood Disorders Community
947 Members

Have you been diagnosed with anemia? How did it affect you?

Low hemoglobin means that a person's hemoglobin level when measured, is below the lowest limits of normal for their age and sex (see above normal range of values). For example, a 19 year old male would have low hemoglobin if the detected blood value was below 13.6 g/dl. Another term frequently used in place of low hemoglobin is anemia, or the person is described as being anemic. Some of the more common causes of anemia are as follows:Nutritional (iron, folic acid, or vitamin B 12 deficiency [pernicious anemia])Gastrointestinal blood loss (ulcers, colon cancer)Kidney problemsBlood loss (from trauma or surgery)Red Blood cell synthesis problems (bone marrow disorders, genetic disorders such as sickle cell anemia)Bone marrow suppression by chemotherapy or radiation exposure
My hemoglobin count is 12.2.
I have issues with bleeding causing anemia but doctors cannot find where it is happening. I have had upper and lower gastrointestinal scope done still they did not find anything. I have had two blood transfusions done 3 weeks apart. I just found out today I need another one done.
I have had extreme fatigue, especially in the legs, for six months. I had my doctor take blood tests which revealed anemia; low iron and low hemoglobin. For follow up I had colorectomy and gastroscopy. Colorectomy found large ulcerated mass in the transverse colon with some oozing. Now I am awaiting right hemicolectomy which will remove my ascending colon and half my transverse colon, effectively removing the cancer together with 12 lymph nodes. It will create loose and more frequent feces but hopefully my body will adjust and perhaps normalize again in time.
As far as I know, I've always had anemia. When I was little I was already taking iron pills, then when I was a teenager it was severe anemia, but now the doctor has started talking about thalassemia. Earlier this condition didn't bother me that much but now aging, it is more and more inconvenient. In my last blood test 2 weeks ago, my hemoglobin was 3.5g/dl. I had 5 blood transfusion, I have been doing Venofer injections for 5 years and nothing. I feel so tired all the time, my legs feels like they weigh 5 kg each at times, and sometimes I just don't feel them. I cannot breathe, I have chronic pain in my chest and it is so uncomfortable. When I am exercising or walking, I feel like my head is going to explode and breathing is just too much. I feel dizzy and nauseous all the time, one side of my face was numb for 2 weeks with severe migraine, a bump appeared on my forehead I don't know why, and I have something like a little bone from my ear just coming out. The doctors do not know what to tell me anymore, they say that they don't know what is causing all this, they all agree that I have severe anemia or thalassemia but that's it. I have now decided not to bother myself with it anymore and whatever happens will happen. I actually feel tired and frustrated that I cannot get proper help.
I am not diagnosed with anemia but my hemoglobin level was very low, when I walked into the hospital HBG was at 29. I had a blood and iron transfusion. Had all tests run, CAT scan, lower intestine, full scopes and nothing showed up. They could not figure out why my HBG dropped so low. When I left hospital my HBG was up to 65, and 1 week later it was up to 82. It has been 4 weeks now and I will have blood tests done again this week. I am taking 300 mg of iron a day.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else