Blood Disorders Community
930 Members

Iron deficiency & low platelet count

I developed aloepecia areata in recent months, and my GP recommended a blood panel. The results came back mostly normal, except I have mildly low platlet count (139 x 10^9/L, as opposed to 150-400) and low blood serum iron (10.5mumol, as opposed to 14-31). Other iron specific indicators, like ferritin/transferrin, came back normal though. My other blood cell counts is normal as well.

I am to see my GP soon and I am most likely to be put on iron. I looked up in the net and there appear to be mixed opinion on aloepecia and iron deficiency. Is there any other differential diagnosis for my condition? Are there any tests I could ask my GP to conduct? Is there any auto immune problem I should ask my GP to check for? Or, is my problem to do with B12/folate deficiency? I am a lacto-vegetarian and I suspect I might not be getting enough B12. I don't go out in Sun much either, so D eficiency as well?

I am looking forward to here from experts.

I suffered from unexplained iron anemia and low, very low Hemoglobin, about 6.  I was examined from throat to rectum and no bleeding or other cause was fund.  I was taking an iron supplement during these tests which took a couple of weeks.  My ongoing blood tests showed a steady rise in my Hemoglobin count and so nothing else was done.  I soon stopped taking an iron supplement (may have taken for 3 or 4 months) and my Hemoglobin has been in the range of 13 for the past 20 years, and no further development of iron deficiency.

I think low Hemoglobin and low red blood cell count go hand-in-hand.

Give iron a change.  
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else