Blood Disorders Community
938 Members

Low Platelets

Do i need to worry about this?
My PCP did a cbc and Platelet count came in at 131,000. He retook a month later, doing a "manual" platelet count test and it came in at 118,000. So now, he has me going to a Hematologist/Oncologist.

Is this something potentially serious?
I have always had hi trigycerides, they were running between 400-700, but now, on meds with change in diet, they are 180 and 220 the last two tests. About 2 years ago, i had to have a cat scan of my bladder area for unrelated issues (negative) it showed a slightly enlarged spleen, i went to hematologist she took bloods and after results said nothing is wrong, it is a clinical diagnosis of enlarged spleen being common in high triglyceride patients.
Also i am on 2000mg a day of Niaspan, plus Lovaza max dosage, and trilipix. Also take prilosec about 3x a week. Could any of this be the cause

My other blood tests were all normal
WBC 6.0 Thousands/mcl
RBC 4.67 Mill/mcl
HEMOGLOBIN 15 g/dl
HEMATOCRIT 43.5 %
MCV 93.2 fl
MCH 32.1 pg
MCHC 34.4 g/dl
RDW 13.9 13.9%
MPV 9.5 fl
TOTAL NEUTROPHILS 69.8%
TOTAL LYMPHOCYTES - 29.2%
EOSINOPHILS - 2.6%
BASOPHILS - 0.4%
MONOCYTES - 6.0%
NEUTROPHILS ABSOLUTE - 3708 Cells/mcl
LYMPHOCYTES ABSOLUTE 1738 Cells/mcl
MONOCYTES ABSOLUTE - 360 Cells/mcl
EOSINOPHILS ABSOLUTE - 156 Cells/mcl
BASOPHILS ABSOLUTE - 24 Cells/mcl
Hi!
The count is low but not dangerously low. The cause for the low platelet count has to be identified; whether it is due to less production at the bone marrow or high breakdown or due to platelets being trapped in the spleen. Even though spleen can be enlarged due to high triglycerides, it could be the cause of platelet destruction. The treatment will depend on the cause. Common causes are Vit B12 and folic acid deficiency, leukemias, lymphomas, decreased production of thrombopoietin by liver, Dengue fever, HIV, hemolytic anemias, etc. Please discuss this with the hematologist when you consult him. Take care!
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else