Blood Disorders Community
946 Members

Stinging Skin

Hi, My skin stings and burns whenever anything scratches it.  It feels similar to an allergic reaction.  However, this has been going on for a couple of years now.  I have fibromyalgia and I just assumed it was connected to that.  But a friend suggested it could be a form of dermographism.  Is that possible?  And if so, is there anything to help.  I don't have any insurance, so I don't go to the doctor except in extreme cases.  Thanks for your insight.  Dee
Hi!
Burning stinging on scratching is usually a sign of very dry skin. Applying a good moisturizer and using moisturizing body soaps would help take care of this problem. In dermographism, usually you would have wheal and urticaria like symptoms with raised skin patches and intense itching. So, this appears to be unlikely but then only a skin specialist or doctor who can examine you after you scratch your skin can tell for sure. Apply a good moisturizer, eat healthy (plenty of fruits and green veggies) and drink water, fresh juice, clear soups etc and see if it helps. If it does not help, you will need to consult a doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else