A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
569957 tn?1216911677

Itchy Bumps on Hands Before my Period

During the summer months, right before my period, I get these little bumps on my hands. They arent red, just clear, almost like theres liquid in them. They also itch, a lot. They get more numerous as my period nears, then they only last about 5 days or so. Then, as they heal up, they turn real brown & go away. Can you tell me what this may be?
1 Responses
Hi,
This seems be an allergic reaction. Allergies are common in the summer months. Allergy is caused by an oversensitive immune system, which leads to a misdirected immune response.

Common allergens include pollen, mold, pet dander, and dust. Food and drug allergies are common. Allergic reactions can also be caused by insect bites, jewelry, cosmetics, and other substances.

Some people have allergy-like reactions to hot or cold temperatures, sunlight, or other physical stimuli. Sometimes, friction (rubbing or vigorously stroking the skin) will cause symptoms.
Short-acting antihistamines available over-the-counter can alleviate the itching.
Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes. You do not really ned to apply it since the rash subsides on its own.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000812

" Up to 40 percent of women with asthma find their symptoms worsen just before and during menstruation. Progesterone, a female hormone, rises sharply and then drops abruptly towards the end of the menstrual cycle, just before menstruation begins, although scientists don't understand exactly how progesterone affects asthma".
ref:http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NKT/is_2_24/ai_90570117/pg_6
This could also be the cause for allergic skin reactions, since asthma too has an allergic component in its causation.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions