Itchy skin

For the past two years I have developed this itch all over my body.  Sometimes I break out in bumps and sometimes I do not. I take Tylenol and Benadryl in order to sleep at night.   I've used various skin products to no relief.  

In the past 6 months I've developed exceptionally dry scalp.  Thedrynrss extends down around my hairline and where as my hair used to extend below my shoulders now it barely covers my neck.  What is wrong with me.  

Could it be old age; I'm 52 yrs old.

Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis). Dry skin usually results from environmental factors like hot or cold weather with low humidity levels, long-term use of air conditioning or central heating, and washing or bathing too much.

Other conditions cause itchy skin as well. Skin conditions like psoriasis,dermatitis and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Pls take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. He/She will start with the specific medications. If an internal disease is found, whether it's kidney disease, iron deficiency or a thyroid problem, treating that disease often relieves the itch.Lastly,Phototherapy can also be tried.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.