Dermatology Community
53.5k Members
Avatar universal

Pricky Itch

Hi, I'm a senior in high school, bound for college, and I have this pins and needles itch. I had this since freshman year, and I've been to two different dermatologists, and both didn't know what it was. I tried antihistamines without success, and I've also taken B12 supplements, also with no success. I found both remedies online, but none really worked. The itch begins when my body temperature increases or when I get anxious or stressed out. The pins and needles sensation usually goes away after cooling down or after I start sweating, but when it is prolonged, I get these red bumps. These red bumps aren't clustered together, and they are usually about an inch apart from each other. I live in Southern California and to my knowledge, I am not allergic to anything, and I did not receive any bug bites aside from mosquitos. I am not physical, but I am not unhealthy. I tried to run it off by running for a few weeks, but all it did was make my tired. I really want to get rid of this before I go to college because this itch prevents me from engaging in social activities, and I am planning to go to a university in the north-east, and although it's usually cold outside in the north-east, the heaters inside the buildings are my problem. The itch makes me lose my awareness of what is going on and I usually get irritated easily during the itch. No one in my family was or is affected by this itch. The itch is usually on my back, chest, arm, stomach, and face, but it can also be on my head, butt, and legs. So pretty much all over my body. I don't have health insurance so I can't afford going to the doctors, and from what I saw online, many doctors and dermatologists do not know what this is, or the cure for it, which means if I did go to the doctors, it would be a waste of time. I would be much appreciated  if a doctor or person who had this and came across a cure replied and told me what they would recommend me doing. Thank you.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
These symptoms can be due to cholinergic urticaria. It  is a form of chronic hives that is caused by an increase in body temperature but can be idiopathic also. Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some calamine lotion on the hives. If the symptoms persist then please get it examined from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions