Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.8k Members

Wood Dust Allergy

In my job, I work with several species of Rosewood that are known sensitizers. The species I work with that is the most notorious for causing problems is Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) but I also work with East Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) and a few other Dalbergias.

Yesterday, after working with both Cocobolo and East Indian rosewood, I developed a small rash on one forearm. It is very minor and normally I would not worry about it except that Cocobolo is known to cause increasingly severe reactions to the point where very small exposures can cause full-blown systemic reactions and anaphylaxis.

My questions:

-Would it be reasonable for me to do my own patch testing by taping a small amount of dust from each species on my skin to determine which species I am sensitive to?

-In addition to protective clothing, gloves, and respiratory protection, would an antihistamine be helpful on the days that I work with the wood (maybe 3-4 days a month)?

-Any other suggestions.

Thanks.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
You should preferably get done the allergy testing from a dermatologist. Also for wood dust allergy. Apart from the protective material, you can take prophylactic antihistaminics. If you have severe allergy then allergy shots can also help.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions