anal warts

I was using Aldara because the PA. at the clinic I go to prescribed it to me.  The lotion worked and made my warts go away.  Now, the warts are back.  I am somewhat confused because I wonder if there is anything that can help make them go away for good.  

Warts are viral in origin and they may be readily  transmitted to other people or they may spread to other parts of the body through direct skin contact. Warts may be removed through cryotherapy (freezing) or through electrocautery. The HPV virus which causes the warts may stay in the skin cells for quite some time.It is necessary that the warts are removed to help ascertain the removal of the virus. However , some persons do become carriers of the HPV virus and in some cases also, they develop immunity to the virus.