General Health Community

perirectal abscess questions

A few days ago, I went into the ER for incision and drainage of a perirectal abscess. It was packed with iodine gauze and I was sent on my way with antibiotics and pain meds.

I was instructed to follow up with the referred surgeon the next day, who would take over the care of the packing and surgery I will eventually need. However, the surgeon can't see me for another 2 weeks.

I still have the original packing, now 3 days old, and am not sure what to do. I was given no instruction over diet, taking showers, or how long the packing is good for. I called the same ER for help, and the nurse said she didn't know either and hung up on me.

I'm responding well to the antibiotics, and the abscess is still draining but the area is still very painful. I can only lie down. In summary:

1. How often should the packing be changed?
2. What can I eat (the location of the abscess presents obvious difficulties with the need to defecate),

I would try to call again and speak to someone else or call another hospital and see if anyone will answer your question. I'm sure 3 days is ok, since I had something similar done to something on my leg. I just didnt get that area wet but cleaned the rest of my body. Eat light foods as if you would when being sick. I hope one of the doctors will answer you better than I can.