Interventional Cardiology Forum

Heart problem?

I am a 27 year old man with prior cocaine use. Its been 2 years since I have used any drugs at all. About a month ago I started getting these chest pains on the left side of my chest. They last for a few seconds and are a squeezing type, sometimes sharp. Because I have a anxiety disorder I got so nervous I went to the ER and they did EKG, bllod work and everything came back normal. But I still kept getting those pains. So I did a holter monitor for 24 hours, as well as a ECHO-STRESS test. Those also came back normal. After 5 weeks I am still getting those pains and they are driving me crazy because I still think something is wrong with my heart. After those tests would it be safe to say this could all be my panic disorder?
At 27 years old it is very unlikely this is due to coronary disease, however cocaine use can accelerate the development of coronary disease. In my pratice I try very hard to avoid an invasive procedure (more risk) in someone who low likelihood of coronary disease. However, if I see someone who has passed all the tests and continues to have chest pain then I begin to think that perhaps a cardiac catheterization is in order. This is very likely your panic disorder and I would need to know more about the quality of the chest pain and what causes it to occur, etc. You should discuss this thoroughly with the physician who read your stress test so the two of you can decide what plan is best and safest for you as an individual.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.