Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
277 Members

very constipated after pop surgery

Hi, my sister has had pop surgery and now is very constipated.  It has been six days since a bowel movement.  She  is now free of the cathater after 12 days but now is cramping and constipated.  She has tried stool softner, prunes, milk of mag. pears and bran but to no avail.  Can someone tell me if they went through a similar situation and if so what was done to correct the problem.

Thanks so much for all your help
If your sister is still on narcotic pain meds, that is creating the constipation. It is vital to continue stool softeners as well as eat as much fruit as can be tolerated (tell your sister to add apples and pineapple to the mix, that may help-she can also try Activia yogurt). It does take a bit to get balanced after POP surgery, there will be much internal swelling but as she comes off of pain meds and continues the fruit and drinks lots of water, it should get balanced. She should mention it to her physician when she goes in  for her checkups to see what the dr suggests.

And thank you for taking the steps to find some answers for your sister!
Sher