Sleep Disorders Community

Picked up my sleep study results and am so confused

I picked up the results of my sleep study to take to a neurologist that I will be seeing in 2 wks. When I went in for my sleep study I was having severe symptoms of narcolepsy. During my sleep study it took me an hour to fall asleep and it didn't even feel like I slept at all and then it was time to go. So I don't think my sleep was normal for me that night.

I got the results of my study and they are rather surprising to me. The results at the end say: Possible Sleep Stage Disturbance and Hypersomnia.
However, when you read the actual details this seems completely different than what I read about narcolepsy.
Things that stick out are: Stage 3 sleep is more than normal. I stayed in stage 3 for 63% of the night. I was in REM sleep for only 8% of the night. I had tachycardia most of the night. Sleep efficiency is slightly below normal. Sleep latency is way below normal. REM latency is above normal. Arousal index is above normal. Possible alpha intrusion.

I had no PLM. My oxygen never fell below 90%. I only had 6 respiratory events, none of which were obstructive apnea. I only snored for 2.7 mins of the night.

The person who wrote the report said the possible cause was obstructive sleep apnea, but I had no events of it that night and I never snore at home either. Their recommendations were basically for my doctor to educate me of proper sleep hygiene, see if i am depressed, avoid alcohol, which i dont drink anyways, and follow up with my PCP in 2-4wks....... to me that basically says he doesn't know wtf he is talking about.

I take medication for ADHD and I fall asleep on it, which I know isn't normal. I can fall asleep doing anything.
Does any of this sound familar to anyone??

I know the disappointment of having a study not give you the answers you need, but please don't give up on pursuing answers. It doesn't always come easy, but it is so worth the perseverence. You gave us the percent of time in different stages, but I didn't see the total sleep time. Unless you were able to sleep a statistically significant amount of time in REM while supine (the supposed worse case scenario), the study would be considered technically suboptimal, therefore not sufficient to unequivocally rule out or diagnose sleep apnea. There is something called UARS (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome) that can be characterized by frequent arousals. I don't know how late in the day you take your ADHD med, but you could ask your doctor if it could have affected your outcomes that night. Any time our sleep stages are chronically out of balance it can cause symptoms that look a lot like narcolepsy, Hopefully the neuro visit will yield you some clarity. Approach this appointment with this attitude, "Okay, then what's next, because this is not an answer." Often a non-diagnostic test result is presented as the end-of-story or nets a script for symptoms unless the patient clearly communicates their expectations. Your test doesn't prove nothing's wrong, it merely states they were not able to tell you what's wrong based on this information. Best wishes in finding answers.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?