Very Sensitive & Light Sleeper

Dear All,

I am currently a female student in college having trouble sleeping frequently.  I was raised in a family where when it was time to sleep, all the lights were turned off and everyone in the house gets into bed.  However, this is not the situation for college.  I have had several roommates in which, when they were in a room next door watching TV or studying on low volume, I still have a terrible time falling asleep just knowing that they are there awake.  Even the tiniest noise bothers me.  It is as if I am expecting them to go to bed before I can sleep myself.  This problem has persisted for at least 2 years already after I have underwent a very stressful time in my life with chemotherapy which might have also contributed to this terrible sleep habit.  Also, I find that stress makes me more alert during my sleep.  Especially stress from school.  Sometimes using Benadryl helps me sleep, but I wake up tired.  I have tried ear plugs without much success.  And am considering using white noise since turning on the uniform noise of the kitchen vent sometimes helps.  But at such a young age, I really do not want to be on medication for sleep after I have regained control of my health post chemotherapy.  

I don't want other people's sleep patterns to govern mine because I would not get enough sleep this way.  I just want to sleep well and normally and not wake up to the slightest noise every night.  I fear that eventually not getting enough sleep from this problem would harm my health and make me more stressed.

Please any suggestions would help.
Thank you,
Restless
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0