Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Oxycodone dependence?

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

Oxycodone dependence?

I've read some of the past threads and other people's comments confirm my suspicion that I've grown dependent on Oxycodone. I'm not sure what to do about it because, like others have said, I cannot take time away from my life to detox. I started taking oxy while recovering from spinal cord surgery. I was home with bed rest for two months. Work was great about it but I've felt like it took a long time to get back into functioning at the level I need to at work. I've hidden a lot of the issues I have with pain and movement because I don't want to seem weak. The oxy is like my secret friend that helps me get through social situations. I lost a lot of confidence because of the nerve damage I suffered. To make things worse I started drinking more while I wasn't working. A beer with the oxy seemed to make it work better. Now I even drink hard alcohol with it at times. I also take a drug for the nerve damage and a benzo to sleep. Taking the oxy also brought back my desire to smoke cigarettes. I was a social smoker before. Now I feel like I'm hiding the fact that I take pills, drink more than I should, and smoke more than I should. The worst part is constantly being afraid that when I go to the doctor--it will be the visit when he cuts me off.

The ironic thing is that I tell myself I need the oxy in order to be social and not be miserable because I'm in pain, but I've actually cut myself off from all but my closest friends. It's hard to tell if the pain I feel when I don't take oxy is real or a result of withdrawal. I've also ignored a lot of personal responsibilities and now I'm finding myself needlessly in debt. I procrastinate about things like that more than ever.

I suppose I just want to know that I'm not alone? Exercise does help if I can force myself to do it. I've never been someone who can meditate, although I've heard that it's helpful. Can anyone suggest coping mechanisms for the pain and anxiety that comes with getting off this stuff?  
Hi.  I just started tapering off of mine this week.  I went to a doctor who gave me Cymbalta and that seems to be helping with my depression and some of the withdrawal symptoms.  I had spinal sugery as well, twice and I needed the pain meds to get through that and suffer from chronic pain but I can't do opiates anymore.  Cymbalta is for depression and chronic pain and is not addictive.

You are not alone.  The postings on here help me a lot.  You can get through this.  I'm glad I went to see a regular doctor and not my pain doctor to help with getting off the oxcy's.  

Right now it's a daily struggle but each day gets better than the day before.  You can do this.  
Thank you. I'm happy to hear that you're doing well. Another drug that I take is Gabapentin for nerve pain. It's supposed to be non-addictive but I ran out one time (even though I still had the oxy) and I became so sick. I'm a little suspicious of drugs they say are non-addicitve. I had a similar experience with an anti-depressant I took years ago. However, keep taking the Cymbalta if it's working for you! I don't mean to be negative.

Anyway, it's great to know that other people are going through the same thing.  I know that I have two types of pain right now: one that's real and one that's withdrawal when I don't have the drugs. It seems hard to treat one without treating the other.

At least my movement is getting better. I was running late for something with a friend of mine the other day and I went up stairs two at a time without thinking about it. I realized later what a success that was. One of my doctors said that pain medication was only there to make recovery more bearable.

I'm curious to know what made you decide to get off the oxy?