Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
This is about teens & alcohol

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

This is about teens & alcohol

Do you think teenagers can become alcoholics? I mean when they are 18, 19, 20, years old?  Is it just having a good ol time and that is what teens do at that age? The drink 4 to 6 nights a week?  If one is always saying the need to drink, they need to get drunk all the time...is that just being a teen partying?

Also what if that teen had a parent who you would consider an alcoholic? They do about the same thing/ always have. You pretty much are sure they are when a dr says they cannot drink at all ( bc of health issue) and they do anyway. I had a relative who died from liver issues who drank all the time.

Back to the teenagers, if they are out drinking then driving and a person has told them over. & over they should not get in a car with another who has or drive either and they pretty much tell you to butt out because they are over 18 now and know what they are doing and they say they are responsible, but others say different ....what can you do???  I know someone going thru this issue.
Hi and welcome.
From what i have read there are different types of alcohol drinking problems. There are those whose bodies react very negatively to alcohol, like the American Indians and can actually die from drinking and to some extent other nationalities can aquire the same syndrome and cannot control drinking, i dont believe age is part of the equation as can happen to any age group. I have read that this can be inherited and is geneticly prone.

There are the casual drinker like at parties or after work, and after years also aquire a need and will go through some withdrawals as their bodies also have now become chemically dependant. Some can stop on their own and some will need a support group to help like AA.

Regards to the teen drinking and driving, all to often this attitude will need a DUI to grasp the full extent of how society views  this.
I know many of them do not get caught and I wish the police were out there a little more pulling over or doing check points, so some of these kids would get caught and learn they can't be doing that. Those videos of drinking and driving and the results evidently didn't do any good for some of them. I believe their thinking is, "I know what I am doing" which is sad, if they know they are drinking and driving and think it is okay.

I see there is the social drinking, but if you hear them say, "I need to drink:". "I need alcohol" "I can't wait to drink", "I want to party instead of work" or they spend 3/4 of their paycheck on alcohol - that is pretty much not a casual drinker, right?. If they are over 19 and they keep saying I am an adult...should you step in and say something? If you know where a party is that they are at, should you make them learn their lesson by calling the cops on the party, or even telling them to watch out for the people leaving so they can pull them over? I mean thinking of their safety and the safety of others on the road.

Also if they do it to fit in and you know they are a follower and they feel they fit in drinking, is that a problem? I am sorry for all the questions. I never really remember my relatives when they were alcoholics and I don't drink (I was never an alcoholic at all - as I am on medication and I have health issues and I am afraid of what alcohol will do to my system, but I haven't had a single drink for over 8 years, I think it's been).

p.s  sorry if that didn't make any sense and was all jumbled up. My concentration is really bad (due to my head/brain issues).  I have horrendous migraines and symptoms.
Hi, if a person says they need a drink, it could be that they are just saying that their stressed out. If a person says they cant wait to have a drink shows they do have restraint or they would have the drink at that time. When people have a drinking problem, they will drink any time any where and usually wont tell others.
I would not call the cops at a drinking party but would try my best to let them know not to drive, maybe tell more friends at the party and get them involved also to let them know or even offer to drive them yourself or get a designated driver.
I believe a teenager can be alcoholic. Age has no relevance with the disease of alcoholism. Of course if the family is accepting of them drinking and also alcoholic, it is probably inevitable the teens will eventually end up alcoholic if they don't stop now. It is a real concern, especially if they are drinking and driving. It certainly wouldn't hurt talking to the teens would it. I talk to young people because I feel there may be a good chance if I show I care about them using,I can hopefully influence them to either stop or at least be responsible. Hopefully it will make a difference if we show we do care for them. Good Wishes.