Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
My 18 year old

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

My 18 year old

Not sure what to do with my 18 year old, I think he is an alcoholic, and possible doing drugs.
He is withdrawn from his family, he never stays home, only to sleep. He has been not showing
up for College Classes or Work. On Thanksgiving he was very quiet, withdrawn and all he wanted
to do is go out with his friends that night, he just didn't seem himself,he was very sluggish.

Everytime I bring up him being drunk or on drugs he gets very angry and denies it. I don't know where
to turn, I tried talking to him, catering to him, and he will be good for a few weeks than goes back
into this zone where he doesn't come home and skips work and school.

My heart is breaking, but I have been putting up with this for year and a half,  He lies to me all the time,
and he had a good part-time job and just blew it, by not showing up to work because he choosed to stay out till
2:40 am,  and sleep all day. I finally took his car away from him and now I am confused on wheather
to kick him out of the house. What should I do?  I worry about him, but I cannot take this anymore,
I have done all I can to help him and he can't even see this.

Ever since this been going on, I haven't been myself, I feel helpless, afraid for him, and all I do is
cry. I feel like I just want to pack up my stuff and leave where nobody can find me.

I just feel lost, I feel that I don't know my Son anymore, that this is not who he was.
I put my parents through a lot of the same stuff. I wish I could help but not shure if I can. It has gotten to the point you describe I would recommend to drop any blaming or anger if possible. Try to break into the shell and get some info from him. Real info not lies. Level with him and talk to him adult to adult then mom to son ONLY in the way of caring for his well being. Do not put him off and do not demand anything. Figure out why hes doing what hes doing and what hes actually doing.  If your at the point of kicking him out do this before letting that thought into your head again. After u try to figure out whats really going on then if need be hes gone. Good luck to you I really hope you and your family can resolve this. If u need anything from me ill be here
Also that is a rough age especially with how the world is nowadays. Im 23. What I see as important is that he doesnt lose himself too far while not realizing it.  Too far to where he cannot come back. Everyone must learn most of lifes lessons for themselves. God bless you and your family
sounds exactly what i did to my parents at 19..i was usin herion.i would lock my bedroom door whenever home,wouldnt really look at them in the eyes,always were long sleeves even in summer.to hid tracks.my mood would change in a second if someone said something i didnt like.to me it sounds like hes hidding something..kickin him out might work but for me i just used more cuz i had no body   ...u said he wasnt showering  yes thats a big sign....ur either to high too or to sick too.im so sorry ur goin threw this....when i read ur post it made me think of my mom n how desperate she was to get her baby back...she thought kickin me out was the answer, it may be for some. eventually she let me come home n i checked in detox on mothes day..than a rehab but still couldnt say clean so 2 months later started methadone ....well u just have to show him u love n be supportive...my parents didnt find out til over 2yrs after i started using...when hes not home search his room,i know its sounds bad but ull be suprised the stuff ull find if hes usin..look in side pockets of clothes that r folded,unfold socks that r in drawer....any place u could think..good luck