Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
sugar addiction

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

sugar addiction

My wife is a sugar addict; pure and simple, it's like heroin to her, a sweetener for us, but she slots into that category of someone who is predisposed to sugar addiction, her late parents were both alcoholics. Believe it or not sugar has an affect on her, so just substitute drugs for sugar and you will understand. The problem is, her addiction affects me and I'm tired of ridding the home of sugary treats, for her addiction also affects me and is have a serious affect on our marriage. She hates the way she looks, her clothing sizes etc., and has sought medical help, has been on a number of diets, but as soon as stress reenters her life, she reverts back and begins the whole cycle again. She knows how I feel about this and will not eat in front of me, but in the middle of the night she she'll eat, or when she's on her way to work. What are the steps I can follow to cope with this, I'm at the end of my rope?
Hi Welcome to Medhelp Addictions Forum. Your wife hates the way she looks, and has sought medical help, to no avail. There is a program called Overeaters Anonymous that she could try. You're in my thoughts and prayers.  
Thanks, her sister belongs to this as she has the same problem
has she ever had her blood sugar tested?  I know sugar can be a mental thing, but there also maybe something else going on that is causing her to crave it so much.  
If it is strictly a mental thing, i think approaching it as a drug addiction would work.  She would have to change her diet, & be committed to finding new ways to deal with her stress.  Talking it out has proved to work very well for me.  
Like a loved one of any addict, you really cannot control or cure this for her.  She must do it on her own.
Good luck:)