Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
tramadol

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

tramadol

My husband was precribed tramadol and became addicted. His personality changed and became very isolated and angry all the time.Is this typical. We separated 3 weeks ago and the man I once loved just seems lost forever. Please let me know the effects on personality.
Tramadol is a very useful medication.  It is a great alternative to opiate based medications, however it can be habit forming.  The changes that it has on personalities differs person to person.  However, someone who is addicted or dependent on Tramadol may be come paranoid and confrontational when they are unable to get the rx. They can even become violent and experience withdrawal symptoms, such as insomnia, chills, hot flashes, night sweats etc etc.  I recommend trying to get help for him if he is willing and partner with your PCP and get mental health support, NA is one of the best programs out there. Remember there are options out there and people who can help!

-Dan
DNP, ANP, AEMT-P
I was addicted to Tramadol.  I can't speak for others but for me it made me feel irritable towards others and I'd be happy doing one activity for hours on end by myself.  I thought it made me a happier and more sociable person because it took away any anxiety I used to feel in social situations but looking back I really isolated myself from family and friends.  I just felt so good doing my own thing.  I'm sure in others these feelings I had could be more pronounced.  How long has your husband been addicted?   After a while I couldn't feel that high anymore and I was just taking it to keep the withdrawals away.
My husband had a previous addiction to pain pills after a major surgery and that is why when the doctor said that tramadol was non narcotic he agreed to take it after he tore a muscle in his shoulder. He has been taking them for 4 months and the addiction seem to have kicked in immediately. His personality is just hostile and it ruined our relationship totally. I have never seen such a transformation. Is this typical of this drug?
How much tramadol is your husband taking?  It is very important that he doesnt stop this cold turkey.  It can be very dangerous as it can cause seizures.  
We are no longer together and I am not even sure that he is trying to get off of them. He is impossible to talk to he has become so paranoid. I am here mostly hoping that others who have been addicted can tell me if these side effects happened to them. He was such a loving man and then this happened and he is a stranger.
As to hwo much I know he was taking them at least 6 times a day and when we both saw changes he was told by the pharmacist how to taper off and i know he was cause the symptoms mentioned about withdrawing were there but then things became bad again and i found his prescription bottle where he had just gone and renewed the prescription so i knew he was lying to me and thats when we separated. THe verbal abuse was to much to handle anymore.
His behavior is pretty typical of any active addict and particularly from one who has just been outed to his family.  They get defensive and use anger as a way to keep everyone else off their backs and that's when the sneaking and lying really get blatantly ridiculous. It doesn't matter how many times they get caught in a lie; they still keep at it.  How do you know when an addict is lying?  When he opens his mouth.

Hard as it may be to believe, he's carrying around a whole lot of guilt and shame about his behavior.  He knows he's sick; he knows his behavior is wrong but right now his addiction is a whole lot louder than his real voice.  It's so hard to separate the person from the addiction when he's screaming in your face.  

I really have to wonder that he wasn't aware that tramadol is just as habit-forming as any other opiate pain medication on the market.  Since was an active addict before, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know it's a drug of abuse or even tried it before.  The docs really aggravate me that they still promote tramadol as a non-narcotic medication.  Technically, that may be true but the end result is still the same in the hands of an addict.

I'm always sad to hear of any relationship ending because of addiction.  Try to take this time to do to some work on yourself.  Get educated and learn some new and effective coping skills at Al-Anon.  Your marriage may not be over yet and you'll certainly have to have some kind of communication with him in the future even if it does come down to a divorce.  The lessons you can learn at Al-Anon will help you deal more effectively with him as well as retain your sanity.
Thank you so much for your reply. I keep hoping for some kind of sign from him that he knows he cant do this alone but still he is in denial that he can do this his way. I to have thought that he had to know that asking for any drug after his addiction should have had more thought put into it and research and yes he lies about it all, and I know that I am not the one who can help him cause I am the one he stays away from because I know about the addiction. I just pray that one day it will happen when he actually gives up and gives in and asks for help from someone. thank you again for your comment.
Hello. I'm not sure you even check this since it was posted a while back. I am going through the worst two years of my marriage because my husband is highly addicted to these pills. It took me several months to even realize he was on anything...he had deployed several times and his father handed him these pill when he had a horrible tooth ache. From there on out it became a full blown addiction. My husband was a great mad that strived so well in The Marine Corps for 12 years...these pills took everything away from him in a blink of an eye. He went to rehab and came right home after over 30 days just to go right back on them. He got a good job after leaving the Corps and is gone out of state often. He lies about everything for the sake of his pills...I feel like I'm living in a nightmare that will never stop. My husband has always been typically quiet but always let me know he loved me and his two boy's...Now I deal with one thing after another that he never would of done before his drug use. I keep praying it will get better, yet he seems to tell me what I want to hear but never fallows through...It is so sad to see what this drug can do to someone that had so many great things in his life. But I guess unless they want off them and are ready to commit...Only then will it be possible to have an actual recovery. I just don't see it ever happening for my husband. He seems to far gone. You wouldn't know it if you were just anyone looking at him, he seems alert and not high...but of course I can see it all and the ones that really know him...It's as if he has no care for anything but his pills now.
Let me tell you a total truth...... I was a former military pilot then an airline captain. I am British. One day I was up a ladder at home and it collapsed. I virtually destroyed my left arm. 9 months later after 7 operations I was making some sort of recovery. Then I went haywire. The prescription drug I had been on all that time was...........tramadol.
It killed the pain, but it also killed a beautiful marriage. Be under no illusions at all this stuff is utter poison. And when you are on it you just don't realise what is going on around you, how hateful and hurtful you can be to those whom you really do love and treasure. Do NOT let this thief take over your destiny. Your husband needs to be led to help like a blinded child. Your call..... BTW  I am now 5 years later back in the saddle as an IP in Toulouse France........my battle is won, but I lost the war.....my wife is gone.
Sorry to hijack an old post, but each and every one of you is describing me. I have been taking 400mg a day for persistent knee pain for 16 months, I have been all of the above and more, it has got to the point where I have pushed away everyone I care most about, my wife especially has born the brunt and im not sure she wants to continue our relationship (its hit hard). I was diagnosed today with addiction and all of the attributes associated with it by a new doctor who took one look at my notes and asked why. What hurts most is i also found out that i should never have been put on them in the first place because of a history of depression (i have partial hearing loss and tinnitus from a loud bang). I am now hoping upon all hope that i havent jeopardised the best thing in my life to the point of my marriage ending. I have too try and make her understand that the person saying and doing all of those hurtful things wasnt the person she was in love with and that a tiger can change his spots and go back to being me.
I've been on 400mg of Tramadol and 6 Panadeine Fort a day for 22 months due to a serious shoulder injury and my behaviour became outrageous.
My poor wife and two very young children took the brunt of it most days and my fits of rage knew no limits. I stopped short of physical violence only by having enough will power to walk away mid tantrum.
I have since had a 7 day ketamine infushion which has dropped my required pain killers by almost two thirds but I have not slept in 6 weeks and still get angry (not as bad) but now have suicidal thoughts.
Tramadol does two things-

1/ inhibits Reuptake of Norepineprine (causing  rage in many people)
2/releases Serotonin the feel good brain chemical(why I now feel like necking myself)

YOU NEED TO GET YOURSELF TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT/ADDICTION EXPERT NOW!!!!! Don't do Ketamine unless you really have to just get them to whean you off Tramadol at any cost.
Tramadol does two things-