Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Oxycontin Relapse?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Oxycontin Relapse?

My husband just went through home detox. It's been a week now. The first 4 days were the worst. He's not anywhere near the way he used to be, but at least he's not having all the horrible side effects anymore (diarrhea, cramping, hot/cold sweats, twitching, etc). It was so hard watching him go through that, but I'm so proud of him! He did it all by himself. He didn't wean himself off oxy either; he just stopped cold-turkey and didn't take anything to help (like Methadone). He just suffered his way through it. He's taking detoxifying capsules (all natural) to cleanse his lungs, kidneys, liver, blood, and colon and all natural sleeping capsules to sleep at night. He also took a bath using epsom salts and he said he felt relaxed and less achy when he was done. He's also going to NA meetings 3 times/week. I just want him to get better and my greatest fear is that he's going to relapse. Sometimes when I ask if he's really done with oxy, he says he's not sure what the future holds. This really freaks me out! I know I can't prevent it if it's going to happen, but I'm so scared it's going to happen and ruin my life and the kids' lives again, too. How do I get past this constant worry?
-1 Comments Post a Comment

You probably will never get past the worry and the trust will take time to get back.

Having said that, the best answer when you asked if he done was him telling you he was not sure. That is truthful and he now knows that he is an addict, always will be, and has to take it one day at a time.

I get up every morning and make the decision to stay clean or not. I take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time on a bad day. I never say "never again". I had five years clean and never missed an NA meeting one day in all of the five years, yet I relapsed. It is not a requirement by any means but it is also not out of the question.

If he continues with the aftercare and stays away from drug friends, etc., he has a 100% chance of staying clean. Since he put the drugs down he now has a choice.

Give him time and give yourself time. You both need to heal at this point.