Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tell me how you told your loved ones and asked for help

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

This is a very hard step for me.  I need to tell a few people about my need to withdraw off this medication (fiorocet) and I have specific needs I want help with/ mainly care for my child.  Many of my family members who usually help me with child care are dealing with problems related to the alcoholism of a spouse.  Basically I don't want to add more stress to thier lives.  There I was feeling proud that I was the first to divorce my alcoholic instead of getting stuck in that trap and now here I am, the one with the addiction (when I started taking more migraine meds, I always thought I could cut back and use them responsibly again)
My Question: How did you tell?  Did you actually vomit before the words came out or just feel like vomiting?  I am going to ask for 10 days of child care, in my home, near his school, with his same toys and routines.  I could split it between the two/three folks I know could handle this.  Should my boyfriend know, 8 months dating, I could just tell him I am leaving for ten days hang up and explain later, right?  What are some of your experiences?
Hi Hun!

I think it is wonderful that you are reaching out for help. Although you are only with your b/f for 8 months, if you plan to have a long-term relationship with him, it would be a good idea to get honest now. If there is any chance for the relationship then he will be there for you.

As far as telling others...jut sit them down and tell them the truth (don't throw up on them). It is amazing when the people around us find out something like this about us, they tend to rally to our aide.

When it finally came out about my addiction my family was so relieved. They knew something was wrong but they didn't know exactly what it was. They were proud of me for admitting that I had a problem and they supported me. It brought us all closer together.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
I would like to take the second part first what if the roles were reversed? How would you feel if your boyfriend was an addict and was lying to you? How would that make you feel......if I were him and you didn't come to me and look me dead in my eyes and tell me the truth and ask for my help I would leave you.....
In a relationship it has to be based on truth and trust and loyality.......how can your relationship be healthy without those three things......?

Avatar n tn
I don't think I would be able to trust him if I did not find out from him when he needed help.  I would feel incredibly hurt if he left for a hospital with a serious problem with out telling me.  No doubt the relationship would be over.  He is a very good man who does deserve to know what is going on in our relationship that keeps stalling it.  I need to tell him and I have been doing him an injustictice.  Either way I have already hurt him, telling him soon would avoid further hurt, right? right