Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Absolutely refuses to eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Absolutely refuses to eat

My child is 5 years old and has what i think is a eating disorder. He is really, really picky when it comes to eating. He really refuses to eat what my wife prepares for dinner. He acts as if he wants to throw up his food. He won't eat vegetables. He is extremely skinny. My 3 year old's arms are as big as his. I fear for his health. He only likes to eat spaghetti. Oh, and McDonalds. :)  Can't eat Mickey D's everyday. How do I encourage him to eat healthy on a daily basis. When I was growing up, you ate what was prepared or you don't eat. I've tried that also. Doesn't faze him. Now his attitude towards eating is trickling down to my 3 year old daughter. I'm frustrated. Need help.Thanks
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
4'
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
35
From the measurements you wrote, his weight is on the 10th percentile and his height is over the 95th percentile for his age. He is very tall so he appears even thinner than he is. Children from 2 years on can be picky eaters. It is frustrating when they do not eat 'healthy'. To ‘broaden his tastes’ is to engage him in the kitchen more. Children love to be a part of making food. Have him help you with preparation of food and setting the table. Hopefully this will increase his interest in other types of food. Help him make milkshakes (ice cream, fresh fruit or frozen fruit – if he accepts it, and milk) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fresh fruit, and frozen fruit) and then he will have additional calories, protein, and vitamins and minerals a few times a day. Remember to relax at meals and just give him the foods he wants. Slowly introduce new foods. Sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food to a child that they will accept, however, if they do not want it you have to not make a fuss and let it go. Hoped this helped you.