Child Nutrition Expert Forum
DESPERATE TO HELP CHILD FEEL WELL!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

DESPERATE TO HELP CHILD FEEL WELL!!!

my son was born early only by three weeks though he was fine at birth and gained weight initially very well... however has had ALOT of admissions to hospital for a variety of different things, mostly involving failure to thrive and bad chest/cough CONSTANTLY. hes nearly three and is in 12months clothes and weighs a mere 24lbs.... he is pale and constantly either hyper or sluggish, although he doesnt seem to need any sleep AT ALL... His bowel movements are very irregular, he passes HUGE stools that are solid and full of mucus and lots of different textures, how on earth he manages to pass it seases to amaze me, he can sometimes be trying for 2 hours!.. then on the other hand he has runny soft stools too..... he is VERY tactile and CONSTANTLY has to rub my skin with his hand and freaks out if I wont let him. his chest seems infected however doctors say that it is clear, however he has lots of mucus on his chest.... he also hardly ever asks for food.. and he eats hardly anything, when you try and encourage him to eat he gags on the food as if he is going to vomit... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
2 years 10months
What is your child's height?
:  
3 foot
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
24lbs
His weight is below the 5th percentile and his height is between the 10-25th percentile for his age. He may need to learn how to chew and swallow food. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught. They need to learn how to chew and shallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. Suggest getting him evaluated, by going to your MD, and start therapy so he can start to eat regular food. Have you tried Benefiber for his constipation issue? It is natural and the bowel does not lose its muscle integrity. Just mix it in any food or drink, it is tasteless. Suggest you limit rice, bananas, and fresh apples. They constipate, however, applesauce and apple juice loosens stool. You also need to increase fluid intake with additional fiber (oatmeal, Cherrios, whole wheat bread, muffins, and crackers-if he will eat them). Fiber is great for increased bowel movements; however, it needs fluids to get through the colon. Hoped this helped you.