Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Losing weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Losing weight
My 13 month old is still above normal on the percentiles but she is losing weight. She grew rapidly and was off the charts until 11 months. Her height increases rapidly but her weight has been dropping. She is very active so I figured she would drop some weight and everything would be ok. At what point should I worry about the lose of weight? Is it what I am feeding her? Is her diet of fruits and veggies not providing enough calories?
From your measurements, her weight is on the 75th percentile for her age. Here is a guideline for a 13-24 month old child should eat the following on a daily basis: Dairy 3-4 feedings a day – Milk (4oz), cheese (½ oz), yogurt (½ cup), or cottage cheese (¼ cup). Starch 4 feedings a day – Cereal (¼ cup), pasta (¼ cup), rice (¼ cup), bread (½ slice), or crackers (2). Fruits & Vegetables 4 feedings a day – Fruits (including 100% juice limited to only 4-6ozs) & Vegetables (¼ cup). Protein source 2 feedings a day – Meat or fish (1oz), egg (1), or beans (¼ cup). She should eat 3 meals and have snacks between meals using the foods above to be spread out throughout the day. She should be eating finger foods and eating on her own with her fingers or a spoon. Hoped this helped you.