Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My son eats strange things....

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My son eats strange things....
Please help !!!!! my 23 month old will not stop eating drywall and stuffing.... what can i do .... i try to restrict his being able to get ahold of these things but he is very thrifty and will seize any oppurtunity to gain possession of them ....he is mischeivious about it to he will grab it and shove it in to his mouth while i am running at screaming "don't put that in your mouth...it's nasty".....help it's making me crazy...im afraid it will make him sick or something...
There is an eating disorder called 'Pica' which children and adults eat non-food objects. Pica occurs more frequently with children. The causes of Pica are unknown, however, certain situations may increase the risk to it such as nutritional deficiencies of iron or zinc (the nonfood items craved usually do not supple the minerals lacking in the body), malnutrition (seen in underdeveloped countries where people will eat clay or soil), development problems (mental disabilities, and autism) and mental health conditions (obsessive-compulsive disorder and schizophrenia). Consumption of some non-food object maybe harmless, however, Pica is considered a serious eating disorder that may result in serious health issues such as lead poisoning and iron deficiency anemia. I am not saying he has Pica, however, suggest you bring him to your MD and get checked.