Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My 5 year old will not eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My 5 year old will not eat

My son just turned 5 and his diet consists of chocolate milk, Roman Noodles, Nacho Cheese Doritos, Go Gurts, & Cinn. Toast Crunch Cereal.  Oh, and he is a fan of McDonald's fries too, won't eat them from anywhere else!  It has been this way since he was 3 years old.  His Pediatrician assures us that it is a phase & that he is healthy & fine.  This is the longest phase ever!  He started kindergarten this week and I'm having to pack him a lunch every day with the things I know he will eat so at least I know he is eating something throughout the day.  We do give him liquid Infamil vitamens that we mix in his chocolate milk, but it still breaks my heart to not see him eat good.  It's seems like my husband & I have tried everything possible, but he just has no desire to try anything.  Every time we offer him something he says "I don't like that kind of food", I like how do you know if you won't try it.  I am just so heartbroken & frustrated & any advice is very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
39 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
40 lbs.
From the measurements you wrote, his weight is on the 50th percentile and his height is just below the 5th percentile for his age. He maybe small due to genetics, however, he is growing despite his eating habits. Unfortunately some children do not out 'grow' picky eater phase until they are in their teens or older. To ‘broaden his tastes’ is to engage him in the kitchen more. Children love to be a part of making food. Have him help you with preparation of food and setting the table. Hopefully this will increase his interest in other types of food. Since he loves chocolate milk, help him make milkshakes with it (ice cream, fresh fruit or frozen fruit, milk) and then he will have additional calories, protein, and vitamins and minerals. The most important thing is to relax. Mealtimes can be a battlefield when children do not have an interest to eating or eat very little. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Remember meals need to be joyous for parents and the child. If he will not eat a certain food, do not make a fuss over it. Give him some other food alternatives. Then let it go and enjoy the meal. Lead by example. Slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go and enjoy the meal. Try again in a few months. Hope this helped you.