Child Nutrition Expert Forum
My child has gained about 20 lbs in less than a year

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

I am concerned about my child's weight.  In less than a year, approximately 7 months, he has gained about 20 lbs.  He has always been on the thin side and is very active.  He all of a sudden started eating more than ever and eating all the time.  He never had the baby fat that most kids do and now that he is 10 1/2 he is pudgy and put on alot of weight.  He plays football, basketball, golf and baseball.  He plays outside, he is not one of those kids who sits in the house and plays video games all day.  I am very very worried that something could be wrong.  Thank you.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
4' .5"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
77 lbs.
His weight is just above the 50th percentile and his height is between the 25-10th percentile for his age which is normal. Within a year or so he will start puberty, the next major growth time. It is great that he is physically active. If you are concerned, suggest you do limit high sugar drinks/snacks and replace with low-fat milk/yogurt or fresh fruit/air-popped popcorn/low-fat cheese. High sugar drink and snacks do not give the child nutrients they need. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), Low fat dairy or substitute dairy products (1 or 2% milk, low fat or non-fat yogurt, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal).