Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Pickey eater not getting enough nutrition to grow.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Hello ~
My 4yr old son is a VERY PICKY eater and will hardly eat anything I put before him that is of any nutritional value. He will only eat oatmeal, turkey sausage, tuna, pb&j,hot dogs, and all fruit and any sweets, & fast food & drinks only water.  I have tired not to worried too much.  However I just took him for a physical well check and the dr was (for the first time ever) concerned that he is not growing in his height as he should.  She had an x-ray done of his hands to check bone age and she found that he has some bone age delay and is showing a bone age of 3yr old.  She has referred him to a Ped Ednocrinologist and I will be taking him to see that dr. but I am now very worried.  I know I will get more answers after more test are done but I am wondering could this be a problem due to lack of nutrition?  Could it be his bad eating (or lack of it) that could be causing this?  And I have no idea what the x-ray showed or even if this is something to be very worried about.  And does a delay in bone age cause some long term problems that I should be concerned about or does it just mean he is going to be a small little guy and may sprout up later in his life?   All I know is that ever since I got the call of the referral that is all I can think about and I am freaking at every meal I give my son and really stressing out when he does not eat.   I have not tired pediasure or any supplement as of yet but I do plan to use try that. Any advice would be much appreciated.  
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
39' 3/4
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
35-36lbs
Some of the foods you listed do have nutritional value that he eats: oatmeal, turkey sausage, tuna, peanut butter, all fruit, and water. One of the main foods to go with picky eaters is vegetables and fruits. Suggest putting milk in his oatmeal and giving him Pedisure or Carnation Instant Breakfast as a drink for extra nutrients. Have him help you in the kitchen, children love to cook or ‘help’ Mom. Since he likes fruit make Smoothies (frozen fruit and yogurt blended together) together. He would have helped you, get extra nutrients, and hopefully eat a different food. Your son maybe small in stature naturally and I suggest you see what the MD says. Best of luck.