Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Toddler with no apparent appetite

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Toddler with no apparent appetite

Hi again Renee,

You kindly responded to my question on April 22, titled "Underweight toddler not eating".  The suggestions were helpful, so thank you!  I have a bit of a different question.  What exactly do you do, when a 2 year old seems to have no appetite?  Mine is disinterested in food, never asks for food, never asks for "more" of anything, hasn't eaten breakfast since March, and eats just a few bites for lunch and dinner, and refuses snacks.  BTW - I have now managed to get Pediasure into her bottles (she is still getting 2-3 per day and that seems to be the only sure way to get nutrition into her).  I bought Ellyn Satter's book "Child of Mine" and we are now doing family meals together and letting her feed herself - but I guess here's the question - she won't.  She looks for other things to do, asks to get down right away, and doesn't eat, even things she used to like.  She has been worked up medically and all the tests have been negative.  Prior to mid-March, there was a time when she was eating well (ex: could eat half a hot dog, or 2-3 chicken nuggets, or 1 egg, or a jar of carrots) - but since then it is only bites, very very minimal intake.  I just don't understand why she is never hungry or interested.  What do you do when they sit at the table and refuse everything, meal after meal?  As long as they are not dehydrated or lethargic, just let them go without food?  She can skip breakfast....then not snack...then skip lunch...and still not want dinner.  She never seems to "make up" for missed meals or "bad eating days".  I am so incredibly stressed - I am in my last trimester of pregnancy and have lost 6 pounds!!  :-(  Thanks so much.....I am desperate.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
32 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
21 pounds
It is very frustrating when a child is not interested in eating. Children love to be a part of making food. Suggest engaging her in the kitchen by helping you with preparation of food and setting the table. Hopefully this will increase her interest in food. The Child Behavior forum may have additional information for you that may help.