Child Nutrition Expert Forum
What to do when your toddler refuses to eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

I have a four year old son , who used to eat pretty good then one day decided to stop eating.
He will eat only the things he likes , like cearl, pizza,  hot dogs ,chicken nuggets & grilled cheese no side dishes at all , basically only junk food  or high in fat. I make dinner and if its not one of these items he wont eat. How ever he will eat snacks but none are items that are good or healthy for him . I tryed cutting out all snacks and sending him on time out to his room but that is not working . Should i make him a seprate dinner things he likes? What should I do? He etheir won't eat and when he does they are not healthy items. Months ago he would eat  things like mash potatoes and noodles even fruit now he won't touch it. Please Help me!!!!!
Sometimes children do become ‘Picky Eaters’ out of the blue. From the measurements you wrote, his weight is on the 50th percentile and height is below the 5th percentile for his age. What he is eating is not all bad. Cereal is good if not filled with sugar; pizza contains protein, vegetables (tomato sauce) and starch; and grilled cheese is healthier if made with whole wheat bread. To ‘broaden his tastes’ is to engage him in the kitchen more. Children love to be a part of making food. Have him help you with preparation of food and setting the table. Hopefully this will increase his interest in other types of food. To increase fruit intake maybe he will accept the fruit in a milkshake (ice cream, fresh fruit or frozen fruit, milk) or yogurt smoothies (yogurt, fresh fruit, and frozen fruit). Have him help you make the milkshakes. The most important thing is to relax. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Let him eat what he wants. Slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go.