Child Nutrition Expert Forum
how to gain weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

how to gain weight

I am Raja Sekhar Chintapalli, My sons name is Stephen Jonathan , he is 9 months old. I have seen that ideal weight of a baby boy at 9 months old is 8.9 kgs but my son is 7.3 kgs only.  What shoud we do  for his increate in weight.

Thanks in advance.
There is no ideal weight for infants and children; however, instead the weight and height are based on ranges as per age and where the weight/height relates by percentiles. His weight is just below the 5th percentile for his age. Guideline for a 9-12 month old child should eat the following: Formula (6-8oz) 3-5 feedings a day, Dairy 1 serving a day – cheese (1/2 oz) or yogurt (1/2 cup). Starch 2 feedings a day – Infant Cereal (2-4 Tbsp), bread (1/2 slice), crackers (2), or pasta (3-4 Tbsp). Fruits or Vegetables 1-2 feedings a day – (3-4 Tbsp). Meat 2 feedings a day – 3-4 Tbsp) or beans (1/4 cup). This food should be feed 3 meals a day with snacks between the meals and at his age he can start with finger foods and he can feed himself with him fingers. Hoped this helped you.