Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Compulsive Liar

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Compulsive Liar
Ever since i can remember i have always lied my way out of confrontational situations.  I am a HORRIBLE liar might i add.  It has always caused problems with my family.  I always get caught in my lies and its really starting to hurt/**** off/annoy the people around me.  Im afriad that i will have no one if i dont figure out why i am such a compulsive liar.
Very glad to hear that you are ready to deal with this.  All kids lie, but most grow out of it.  Can you 'come out' to a couple of key people?  Admit that you know it is a big problem and unfair to them--and make them into allies in the change process.

The "Why" question is important.  Why do YOU think you do it?

(Keep in mind that knowing that answer is useful, but only one step toward stopping.)

tg