Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
coma stage after cardiac surgery

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

coma stage after cardiac surgery

Hi sir,
My uncle had a surgery to heart valves(shunts were installed) through angiogram and after few days of surgery suffered from severe headache and went into coma.
I merely wants to know the reasons for coma stage after sucessfull cardiac surgey?
Tags: cardiac, neurology.
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to hear about your uncle.

The possible causes of coma after heart surgery are extensive and can include things that are very serious but also things that are much less serious.

For instance, he could have suffered a stroke which would be quite serious.  Alternatively, he could simply be suffering from the after effects of anesthesia and cardiac surgery which would be generally transiet and should improve.

Unfortunately, I dont think I can provide you much further insight. I encourage you to discuss the details with your uncle's physicians.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr. Rich