Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
flying

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

flying

I have chf and an aneurysm by my heart I have very low blood pressure I'm on alot of meds for my condition I want to fly to see my son and family then fly from there to see my granddaughter in another state then fly home is all that flying safe for me

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Regarding your question, here is how I would answer it:

1. Flying is generally ok for patients with congestive heart failure provided they dont tend to have "low oxygen levels" or require the use of an oxygen tank.
2. If you do have low oxygen levels, you would need to be sure you have a portable oxygen tank to use and that the trip is not too long
3. You need to be sure you get up and walk around periodically to try to prevent clots from developing in your legs from a long flight
4. If your CHF is very "brittle" and/or you arent doing very well, flying can be worrisome simply from the standpoint that if you end up needing assistance for your condition, you may be stuck on the plane or in another city remote from your doctors.

Having said all of that, my patients with CHF fly all the time and I encourage them to do so when they are stable and are going to do fun things (ie seeing family, etc etc).  So hope that the above doesnt really apply to you and then I'd say go for it!!

Best,

Dr. Rich