Any cut of steak will work for this recipe, but they especially liked the flavor and texture of rib-eye with these seasonings; look for steak that has been thinly cut. Sweet potato fries and a nice salad rounds it out.
Makes 2 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy
8 ounces 1/2-inch-thick steaks, such as rib-eye, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 portions
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 plum tomatoes, diced
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1. Sprinkle both sides of steak with chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook, turning once, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a plate, cover with foil and let rest while you make the salsa.
2. Add tomatoes, lime juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and any accumulated juices from the steaks. Serve the steaks topped with the salsa.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 174 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrate; 20 g protein; 1 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 421 mg potassium.
If made with a lean cut of beef, such as sirloin, this is Core.
Flank Steak Pinwheels Recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
Rest Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 43 mins
2/3 cup(s) tomato(es), sun-dried, (not packed in oil)
2 cup(s) water, boiling
1 pounds beef, flank steak, trimmed of fat
1 clove(s) garlic, minced
3 tablespoon cheese, spreadable, herb-flavored, light, such as Boursin
1 cup(s) spinach, baby
3/4 teaspoon salt, Kosher
1/2 teaspoon pepper, black ground
1. Preheat grill to high.
2. Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; pour boiling water over them and let steep until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and chop.
3. Meanwhile, place steak between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Pound each side of the steak thoroughly with the pointed side of a meat mallet until the steak is an even 1/4-inch thickness.
4. Rub garlic all over one side of the steak. Spread cheese lengthwise in a 3-inch-wide strip down the middle of the steak. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. Starting at one edge of a long side, roll the steak up tightly, tucking in the filling as you go.
5. Carefully rub salt and pepper all over the outside of the steak roll. Turn the roll so the overlapping edge is on top. Push 8 skewers, evenly spaced, through the roll, close to the overlapping edge to hold the roll together. Slice the roll into 8 equal portions, roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick, with a skewer in each. Lay the slices on their sides and push the skewer through so it sticks out about 1 inch.
6. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pinwheels 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Use a spatula when turning them to prevent too much filling from falling out. (Don't worry if the ends of the skewers burn. They will still hold the pinwheels together.) Remove the skewers; let the pinwheels rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Contains Red Meat
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 226, Saturated Fat: 4g, Sodium: 332mg, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Total Fat: 9g, Carbs: 7g, Cholesterol: 46mg, Protein: 27g
Carb Choices: 0.5
from eating well
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.