Healthy Cooking Community
Cajun-style Blackened Halibut
About This Community:

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cajun-style Blackened Halibut

This recipe from Bon Appétit (September 1999) has a nice kick. I use less olive oil than called for and no butter and it still turns out pretty yummy.

A nod to what could arguably be the dish of the eighties, blackened redfish. The technique works equally well with halibut.

Makes 4 servings.

ingredients
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
4 6-ounce halibut fillets
2 tablespoons olive oil

4 teaspoons butter

preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl. Place fillets on baking sheet. Brush on both sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle top of each with seasoning.

Heat heavy large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until very hot. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Place fillets, seasoned side down, in skillet. Cook until very brown on bottom, 1 minute. Return fillets, browned side up, to baking sheet. Place in oven; bake until just opaque in center, about 8 minutes. Top each with 1 teaspoon butter.