Healthy Cooking Community
Salmon on a plank

The Healthy Cooking community is for exchanging tips and recipes related to Healthy Cooking.

Salmon on a plank

Here's a heart-healthy Salmon meal with Native-American overtones.  

When I was a child my father took me to Celilo Falls on the Columbia River where we watched Native-Americans gig and net very large salmon.  They were cooked-smoked by impaling the 10 - 20 pound fillets on sticks and positioned around a fire fueled by Cedar or Alder, both native woods to Oregon.  We would buy these fillets and they were delicious.  Dams on the Columbia River eliminated Celilo Falls and have hurt the Salmon runs, but that's another story.

Here is a way NW folks still like their salmon.  I'm cooking it today.

Soak a cedar or alder board in water for a couple of hours.  Try and find a board that is 1/2" or less thick.  I buy them at Costco.  Fire up the BBQ, lay a piece of foil over the grill.  After the grill is hot, set the board on the foil.  On the board, lay a salmon fillet skin side down on the board.  Earlier, you should have put together about a 1/2 cup of low-fat Mayo, about a teaspoon of shaved or grated ginger root, salt, pepper, some chives or green onion tops or some finely grated shallots.  Spread this mixture over the salmon.  Close the BBQ lid, stand by with a water spritzer but I seldom use it.  Cook until the Salmon separates with a fork, most folks like salmon on the rarer side of 'done'.  I serve it with steamed red potatos or red or yellow peppers.  It's that easy.  I go real easy on the salt because of some heart issues and let folks salt to taste, but a little salt in the cooking process seems to help bring out the flavor.  

Enjoy.
That Sounds Great!  

Unfortunately I agree with you on alot of places they have truly hurt the salmon runs.  

We usually stuff ours with crab and lobster meat; anyhow, that sounds like my kind of cooking.  I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks.