Hysterectomy Community
Bloating after TAH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Bloating after TAH

I 62 years old and had a total abdominal hysterectomy on 8/24/09.  I have a lot of swelling and bloating following the procedure.  Is this normal?  What can I do for relief?   I know this is crazy, but I am terrified the incision will split open it the swelling doesn't go away.  When should I expect normal bowel movements to resume?  I am having issues and the doctor suggested on over the counter remedy but nothing is happening.  I have one area on the incision that continues to drain.  Is this normal and when should it stop?  The incision is not red or infected but I worry about the drainage.  My doctor told me my head would get way ahead of my body.  He told me to ignore the little voice in my head and listen to my body.  This is the first surgery I've have ever had in my life and I guess I'm a worrier.  
Hi your entitled to worry , this is a big surgery ! Welcome to the hystectomy forum, I hope to be of help to you.

alrighty first of Im confused on one thing dr said to ignore the little vlice in head and listen to your body? hmmmmm you swelling ( usually normal) but incision draining and hes not asking questions like, color or odor of drainage? cause that makes a world of difference!   clear is ok yellow, bloody, green tinged is not that infection,,,odor is infection.!

Are your ankles or palms of hands swollen, your face? take your thumb, push it into ankle count the seconds until depressed area "pop" back up this is called dimpling,,if you dimple for more than 4 or 5 seconds, sounds like you have a problem with the swelling. Im not too concerned about abdominal swelling cause your surgery was so very recent.Think of getting the heck beat outta yourself, youd swell, thats almost what happened not the best analogy. Your bodys been through trauma its going to swell.

Ok the bm issue, Id assume your taking narcotic pain meds right? they are constipating. Also most women after a hyster the last thing they wish to do is strain and push for a bm it hurts and your leary of splitting incision, Understandable,.

I advise colace,,likely what your dr said.read the package label carefully . You can take one colace with each pain pill and drink 2 good size glasses of h20 w it..watch your diet for the next several days eliminate foods that are binding to you and add foods you can tolerate that will help like raisins, dried prunes, fruit, also a nurse friedn told me this and it tastes good and helps...Kellogs cracklin oat bran lots of fiber I choose to eat it out of box like chips, the pieces are large its good, not the greatest but a cinnamon flavor it did help me. I had the same issue as you following a hemmoroid surgery, you do not want to allow your self to become impacted,.

If you dont have a bm after my suggestions call your dr he will advise.I would say not to use a laxative or enema w/o drs permission.

If you click on my icon go to my home page and read my journal titled pre and post op hysterectomy hints has a long list of advice..be good to yourself ,takes some time to heal no lifting no sex for 6 weeks!  Hugs, C